Australians love their Ugg boots. As soon as the air turns a little chilly, you can see men and women ready to clean and wash Ugg boots to be able to wear them during the winter. These iconic sheepskin slippers have plenty to appreciate - they keep the feet warm and cosy and are breathable and durable. However, Uggs are also made of a delicate material that easily stains, making cleaning a difficult endeavour.
If you own a pair of these shoes, you must have often wondered: how to clean Ugg boots? In this blog, we discover the right ways to clean Ugg boots to keep them looking fresh and cosy season after season.
Here is a comprehensive care guide on Ugg boot care.
How To Clean Ugg Boots Outside?
The main challenge when it comes to cleaning Ugg boots is avoiding discolouration. Sheepskin suede is incredibly porous and can easily absorb liquids, potentially leaving unsightly dark patches. To maintain their appearance, start with the least invasive cleaning methods. Here’s what you can begin with:
- Suede Brush:If your Ugg boots are just dusty or grimy, start by giving them a once-over with a suede brush. This simple step can often do wonders.
- Suede Cleaning Shampoo:For tougher stains or dirt, apply a Ugg boot or suede cleaning shampoo to a cloth. Dampen the cloth and gently rub the outside of the boot in a circular motion.
- Drying:To maintain their shape while drying, stuff your boots with tea towels or other cloth materials. Leave them to dry overnight in a well-ventilated area, away from direct sunlight. This step is crucial to prevent warping.
If your Uggs have any dark stains, different stains may require different approaches. Here’s how to wash Ugg boots for stain removal:
- Liquid Stains (e.g., water, oil, mud):For liquid stains, rub plain white chalk on the affected areas and leave the boots overnight. The chalk will absorb the liquid. The next day, use a suede brush (or even a nail brush or toothbrush) to lightly buff off the excess chalk, and then rub the affected area against a clean section of the sheepskin to remove any chalky residue.
- Other Stains (e.g., pen marks):For more stubborn stains like ink, use a colourless gum eraser to gently buff them away. If the stain still persists, consider using very light sandpaper, but be extremely gentle to avoid damaging the suede.
How To Clean Ugg Boots Inside?
Keeping the insides of your Ugg boots clean and odour-free is just as essential for comfort and longevity. So how to wash Uggs if the interior becomes dirty or smelly?
Lightly dampen a cloth and give it a gentle scrub. Start with plain water, as soap can strip the wool of its lanolin, a natural wax that helps maintain its softness. Let the boots dry in a shaded, well-ventilated area for 24 to 48 hours, ensuring they are completely dry before wearing. If they remain dirty, use mild soap or detergent on a damp cloth, then rinse thoroughly and repeat the drying process.
How To Clean Smelly Ugg Boots?
To remove odours, sprinkle baking soda inside your Ugg boots and let it sit overnight. In the morning, vacuum out the baking soda (or shake it out if you don't have a vacuum). Some retailers also sell sprays designed to freshen the insides of your boots and prevent odours from building up.
Consider Replacing Inners
Over time, the wool inside your Ugg boots may become compressed, but that doesn't mean you need to discard them. Some Ugg boots in Australia have interchangeable inner soles, allowing you to replace the existing sole with a fluffy new one.
Should I Clean Ugg Boots in the Washing Machine?
As tempting as it may be, avoid the urge to toss your Ugg boots into the washing machine. This can permanently damage the inners, knotting the wool and removing the natural lanolin that keeps them feeling soft and comfortable.
Should I Wear Socks with Ugg Boots?
You don't need to wear socks with Ugg boots. In fact, it's better not to. Why? Ugg boots are made with natural fibres that allow air circulation and keep your feet from sweating. Socks, on the other hand, can trap moisture and create a breeding ground for bacteria, which can lead to smelly boots. So, prefer going sockless.
Caring for Ugg boots doesn't need to be as daunting as it might appear. With just a few easy steps and a touch of patience, cleaning Ugg boots can become a seamless task. Maintain your sheepskin boots in pristine condition to ensure they keep your feet snug during the colder months.
If you’re looking for warm and comfortable Ugg boots in Australia, you might want to check out our Merino Craft Ugg Collections.